AMS is now accepting nominations for three awards recognizing individuals for their leadership role in health care in Arkansas. Nominations may come from any AMS member, county medical society or specialty group. The deadline for receipt of nominations is March 10, 2017.
The Asklepion and Shuffield Awards will be presented at the Arkansas Medical Society Annual Meeting May 5-6th at the Doubletree Hotel. Dr. James Suen received the 2016 Asklepion Award. He is a Professor and Chairman of the Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at UAMS.
The Shuffield Award is given each year to recognize lay persons in Arkansas who have done outstanding community work in the health care field. The individual might be a newspaper reporter, television personality, government official, teacher, or individual promoting a community or other health related program. The person cannot be a physician or member of a physician’s immediate family. The recognition should be for community work outside that person’s regular employment (not for work done as part of their job).
The Asklepion Award will be given to an Arkansas Medical Society physician member. Nominees should:
- Promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of the public health
- Embody the values of the medical profession through leadership, service, excellence, integrity, and ethical behavior
- Enrich patients, colleagues, and the community through dedicated medical practice
Student Leadership Award
The Arkansas Medical Society Student Leadership Award will be presented at the UAMS White Coat Ceremony this summer.
Nominees for the Student Leadership Award must be members of the Arkansas Medical Society, and also:
- Be a first, second, or third year medical student in good standing.
- Embody the values of the medical profession through leadership, service, excellence, integrity, and ethical behavior.
- Encourage other students to be community servants and/or political activists in addition to being dedicated students.
Nominations may come from Arkansas Medical Society – Medical Student Section members, Arkansas Medical Society members, or Faculty/Staff members of UAMS. Self-nominations will also be accepted. The deadline for receipt of nominations is March 10, 2017.