By Laura Haywood
Managing Editor, The Journal
When a publication has been around since the 1890s (yes, you read that correctly – eighteen ninety!), it’s not surprising that said publication has undergone many changes through the years. What once was the only way of sharing Society news and information with its members over a very rural state, has now become one of many ways AMS connects with members. Last year the Society announced that The Journal would be moving away from featuring scientific content every month to a more member-focused quarterly magazine, and we are extremely excited that the brand “new” Journal is hitting mailboxes this week!
Each quarterly issue of this “new” Journal will have regular content highlighting different members and areas in our state, including:
- Feature articles on a variety of topics
- Columns from AMS leadership and executive staff on practice management, insurance, legislation, health policy, and AMA updates
- The latest member news, including a section for Preserving Medicine, a history corner by Ray Hanley
- Profiles on AMS Board of Trustees
- Updates from the state’s three medical schools
The Journal wouldn’t have such a great new look without a team of professionals working behind the scenes to pull it all together. As the new Managing Editor, I have the privilege of collaborating with two long-time AMS employees who are instrumental in making each Journal issue the best it can be. Nicole Richards and Laura Hawkins are now working to serve new and existing advertising customers, and they both bring a great amount of experience and knowledge about reaching Arkansas physicians. (Want to advertise in the next issue? Click here.)
And speaking of advertisers. The Journal absolutely wouldn’t be possible without our partners who support AMS through advertising. They’re linked below and we encourage all Arkansas physicians to see what they have to offer.
- State Volunteer Mutual Insurance Company – AMS endorsed medical malpractice insurance provider
- Arkansas Foundation for Medical Care
- The Friday Firm
- Darren O’Quinn Attorney at Law
- UAMS Winthrop P. Rockefeller Cancer Institute
- New York Institute of Technology at A-State University College of Medicine
- First Horizon Bank
- BioTech Pharmacal
- AMS Benefits
If you have feedback or article ideas, we’d love to hear them! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for any content submissions.
It’s been a radical time of change over the last two years, but the Arkansas Medical Society and The Journal will continue to show resiliency and adaptability to whatever comes. No matter what or how things may change, the mission of The Journal to provide valuable information to our members will stay the same. We hope you enjoy the “new” Journal.